Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tangling with a $5 eBay find ... Franken-sr-T

IT'S ALIVE!!!!  ALIVE!!!!!

Well, I decided to find a cheap broke (not really broke) camera on eBay.  I found an old Minolta 35mm SLR.  Minolta sr-T101.  I bought it for $5.00 and it cost $9.50 to ship it.  Hey, if nothing else it is parts and that would total much higher were I to purchase only a dozen of the hundreds that make this beauty work.  Well worth it.

So, I get it.  It needs some TLC.  And when I begin to trip the shutter at longer exposures (1/8th or longer) the shutter curtains are moving slow enough and separated from each other enough so that the curtains cannot engage the mirror return spring and, randomly, the curtain even stays open, not travelling all the way to the left side of the back of the mirror box to end exposure.  So, not only some TLC but a CLA.

The seller also stated the light meter did not work.  Now, sometimes a little foam can flake off inside the top of the camera or, as in this case, a little grease can accumulate inside the edges of a small hole in the side of the exposure meter moving coil set.  So I disassembled the camera.  I removed the top cover by removing the winding lever, the S/S-ISO dial and the rewind crank and four micro screws.  I then was able to remove to screws holding in the prism retainer and lift the prism from above the ground glass.  There was, indeed, a little grime built up in the travel area of the meter needles.  So I removed that, cleaned all surfaces that I had access to, including the viewfinder lens once I removed the assembly.  Put it all together, et viola!

Light meter, check.  Timer, check.  Aside from the curtains not closing for long exposures (so I shoot it at short exposures) is that the DOF preview button is completely missing from the lower right side of the front face of the camera.  The only concern there is that something might inadvertently work its way inside the camera and gum up the hole works.  So I need to find something suitable to plug that up with until I get a true parts camera and can rob the part from it.

I love buying these old cameras that not many know about and getting them up and running again.  Feels good.  And for $5.00 plus post I have another camera.  Win-win in my book.

Admittedly, there is one little thing.  I have four extra screws and do not know where they should have went.  But everything is sandwiched together and operating properly and I am not adventurous for a second breakdown tonight.

Thanks, Dad.  I get it honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment