Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Project: Dachau

A customer of mine and I spoke a couple of years ago about printing some enlargements from some negatives made by his wife's uncle in Europe in the 40's. He was attached to the forces who first entered the Dachau camp in Poland, IIRC. He warned me that some of the subject matter is on the graphic side, documentary in nature, but bald, no sugar coating.

Today he was in and I broached the subject of photography. He asked if I could work with old negatives. I asked if he meant the Dachau negs. Then he remembered we had talked. He will be bringing in the negs and I will make some contact prints so he can see what there is and how, if at all, he might wish to proceed, you know, what to do with them.

I remember when we had first spoken that the scope of what I had agreed to hit me. The enormity of what could be and the respect with which I needed to approach the subject matter were and still are foremost in my mind.  I do not doubt I can do the negatives justice. I look forward to the work.  And I will definitely keep updates here as they come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment