Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Fostering Interest...

Well, my 17 year old daughter has expressed interest in photography over the years.  She has had a couple cameras.  She uses them occasionally, as I did before I was bitten by the viewfinder bug.  Well, I have an idea to give her really great exposure (pun, well, perhaps partly intended) to the magic of the darkroom.

A little history.  My wife, Faith, died two and one half years ago.  We made it through.  And I would like to think that we are a strong family now.  We all think of Faith and Emily does a great deal, as do, well, all of us.  But I think I can incorporate the two.

I can set up the printing and select a negative.  I will find one that has the two of them in it.  And I believe that the negative I will put in the carrier has just occurred to me.  A photograph I made of the two of them.  Faith in the foreground very close to me and out of focus and Emily across the room in sharp focus.  I mention it so I will not forget.

I will get it all set up and tell her to come in.  I will let her do the printing and the processing and the rinsing and the dodging and burning.  And she will make the print like she wants it to look.  And I think she will like that a lot.  I may even make a different variation myself to show her how the same image can be made to look completely different.  Then she can take the photograph and frame it and hang it in her room if she wishes.

Now, I will not expect an instant addiction to fixer.  I just want to give her access to something different to do with her time.  Who knows, it might just take.  I will post about this once the deal is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment