Monday, December 9, 2013

FYI: This Man's Darkroom: What I Use



I thought I might make mention of the materials I use.

For paper, I have used Arista's Glossy RC/VC papers in the past.  I still have some and use it primarily for contact prints for negatives for easy viewing.  Very easy paper to use and well recommended for the beginner.  Perhaps not the best for archival work, but not half bad.

Currently I am printing on Orient Seagull RC VC II glossy 8x10.  It is a very good paper to work with.  Granted, I have not used all there is to use, but I foresee staying with the Bird in the near future.


For Paper Developer, I began with Arista's B&W developer.  Shelf life sealed is less than three years.  I will now be using Ilford's Multigrade developer, mixed 1:9 and at 68F (20C).  Shelf life sealed is three years and counting, as indicated in the test strip article.

For Stop I use Kodak Indicator Stop Bath at 1:63, same temp.

For Fixer I use Kodafix mixed at 1:7, same temp.

For a rinse, just water in a large tray for now, 10-15 minutes.  In a couple months I will be investing in a vertical archival print washer.  The prints I have done show no ill effects to the tray rinse.  But I would rather err on the side of caution and do it right.


I have two enlargers.  I have an old Fujimoto Lucky 60M named "Little Boy".  I have 35mm and 6x6 glassless carriers for this enlarger and two lenses, one 50mm for 35mm negatives and one 75mm for the medium format printing.  Both f/3.5.

The other is a Beseler 57MB known as "Fat Man".  I have a 4x5 carrier for this enlarger and a couple lenses.  One Rodenstock, 150mm or so and an ancient Bausch and Lomb 180mm.


I use a Gralab 300 timer.  The face marks glow in the dark, easily visible.  I also use a single Arista Red safelight, more than sufficient in the limited space of my temporary darkroom.  I also use an old two blade easel and an 8x10 contact frame.  The easel is old and needs replacing.  Will do so with a good four blade.

No comments:

Post a Comment